About this spot
Tsarevets is a large fortified area dating from the 12th century. There is a church dating from 5-6th century on the hilltop within the fortress. The first signs of settlement in this area date from 4200 B.C. and later it was occupied by the Thracian tribes. In 5th century the largest town of the Byzantine Empire was established in the province (destroyed in the 7th century). For 200 years Tsarevets was the centre of political, trade and cultural life of Bulgaria.In Medieval times, Tsarevets was densely built up and included the palace of Bulgarian kings, 4 monasteries, 22 churches and over 370 community buildings in several neighbourhoods. Excavations suggests the total presence of over 3000 people.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.