The photography guide to Lisbon
40 photo spots 265 inspiring images 14 contributors
Lisbon photography guide
Our contributors have added 40 photo spots to this Lisbon photo guide. Have you discovered an amazing new location in Lisbon?
Most popular Lisbon photo spots
Lisbon is a fascinating destination for photographers because of its stunning architecture, vibrant street life, and picturesque landscapes. The city's historic center, with its narrow streets, colorful buildings, and intricate tilework, is particularly photogenic, and many photographers are drawn to its unique blend of Moorish and European architecture.
Lisbon also offers numerous opportunities for street photography, with its bustling markets, lively neighborhoods, and vibrant street art scene. Photographers can capture candid shots of locals going about their daily lives, as well as the city's many street performers, musicians, and artists.
In addition to its urban landscapes, Lisbon is also home to numerous parks and gardens, including the Jardim da Estrela and the Parque Eduardo VII. These green spaces offer a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the city, and photographers can capture stunning images of the city's natural beauty.
Finally, Lisbon's location on the Atlantic coast means that it offers numerous opportunities for seascape photography, with its dramatic cliffs, sandy beaches, and rugged coastline. The nearby fishing village of Cascais and the historic town of Sintra are particularly popular destinations for photographers seeking to capture the natural beauty of the area.
Overall, Lisbon is a fascinating destination for photographers, offering a wealth of unique and beautiful subject matter to capture with their cameras.
Most popular photography locations of Lisbon
Lisbon has many beautiful and photogenic locations that are popular on Instagram. Here are some of the most popular Instagram spots in Lisbon:
- Alfama: The oldest and most picturesque district of Lisbon, Alfama's narrow streets, colorful buildings, and historic landmarks make it a popular spot for Instagrammers.
- Miradouro de Santa Luzia: This terrace offers stunning views of the city, with the Tagus River and the rooftops of Alfama visible in the distance.
- Miradouro das Portas do Sol: Another popular viewpoint, Miradouro das Portas do Sol offers panoramic views of the city and is a great spot for sunset photos.
- LX Factory: This former industrial complex has been transformed into a creative hub, with trendy cafes, shops, and street art that provide great photo opportunities.
- Praça do Comércio: This grand square is one of the most iconic landmarks in Lisbon, with its yellow buildings and Arco da Rua Augusta providing a stunning backdrop for photos.
- Belem Tower: Located on the banks of the Tagus River, this 16th-century tower is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Lisbon and is a popular spot for Instagrammers.
- Pink Street: This street in the Cais do Sodré district is known for its pink pavement and neon lights, making it a popular spot for colorful and vibrant photos.
- Jerónimos Monastery: This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a beautiful example of Manueline architecture and offers many photo opportunities with its intricate carvings and details.
- São Jorge Castle: This medieval castle offers panoramic views of the city and is a popular spot for photos, especially at sunset.
- Rua da Bica: This charming street in the Bica neighborhood is known for its colorful buildings and the famous Bica funicular, which provides a unique backdrop for photos.
Official Tourist Website
Official Tourist Website
Explore more photo spots in Portugal
If you want to explore beyond Lisbon, we have 105 photo spots and 1 event that you can visit in Portugal.
Sue Wolfe Curator
I love traveling the world--soaking up history and experiencing other cultures. Photography goes hand in hand with that wanderlust. I enjoy exploring narrow, winding streets in old city centers but am also at home hiking through nature for landscape and wildlife shooting. In 2018, I was selected by Padre Island National Seashore for the National Park Service Artist-in-Residence program.View profile
We hope you enjoy this guide to photographing Lisbon - don't forget to share your images on PhotoHound and tag us on social media using hashtag #photohound