Initiation Well, Quinta da Regaleira
1 images 1 contributors
Wayne & Lyn Liebelt
About this spot
The Initiation Well is a 'subterranean tower' sinking 27 metres into the earth accessible by a monumental stairway, full of masonic, esoteric and alchemical symbols. The well was never used as a water well at all, but it’s believed these “initiation wells” (there is also a smaller well on site) were used to perform initiation rites and rituals, although nothing is known for sure about their purpose. Eerie!
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.