Shoot with care
This is becoming a popular spot, respect other photographers - be patient, get your shot and allow others to take their turn. Consider alternative locations in the Palouse (see guide). Do not trespass on private land.
About this spot
Standing more than 1,000 feet above the surrounding landscape, Steptoe Butte offers unparalleled views of the rolling hills and fields of the Palouse. With good reason, it is the most popular photographic location in the region. Near sunrise and sunset in late spring and early summer, you will find dozens or more other photographers sharing the view. Luckily, you will find plenty of room for everyone to set up a tripod. There is some debate about whether the views are better from the top or partway down the slopes, but this spot describes the two viewpoints at the top. One is at the parking area at the south end of the summit, which is about 50 feet lower than the views from the parking area at the top. Both these spots are very popular with photographers. The view from the southern parking area is to the south, with partial views to the west and east. From the top, the view is in all directions.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.