Public Market Center (Pike Place Market)
23 images 6 contributors
About this spot
Seattle's Farmers Market is one of the oldest public markets in the country. The market was founded in 1907 to give local farmers a place to sale their produce. Today the produce that is sold here is not always locally sourced. Bananas, citrus fruit and avocados most definitely come from out-of-town. One of the iconic locations is the fish market. Here, the fish merchants throw the iced fish to the fish wrapping station. The nearby vegetable sellers have produce arranged with an artist eye for size and color. Heading north are the flower sellers followed by a section full of trinket booths and artwork work vendors. Continuing north, find a balcony overlooking the waterfront. (this area was built in 2017 and at the time of this writing was not completed, but the view is excellent). Across the street from the main building are more shops selling seafood, baked goods and even a cheese makers store. Rachel the Pig is there, patiently waiting for people to sit on her and then put coins in. Street artists and performers, called Buskers, entertain the shoppers and visitors. Another very popular feature of the market area is the original Starbucks store located at 1912 Pike Pl. Because of the market development guidelines, the outside of the store looks just like it did when it opened. However, the long line waiting to get in helps you find the location.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.