About this spot
The Hiram Chittenden Locks, now referred to as the Ballard Locks, have been a major attraction for locals and tourist alike since their opening in 1917. The locks and associated Ship Canal allow boats to navigate from the Puget Sound all the way inland to Lake Washington. The US Army Corps of Engineers runs this complex which consists of a Visitor Center, botanical gardens, two locks, an underwater saltwater sink and barrier, a small dam, and fish ladder.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.