The best photography locations in Jordan
Jordan photo locations
Jordan is a captivating country with a rich history and stunning landscapes, making it an ideal destination for photographers. Here are some of the most interesting photography locations in Jordan:
1. Petra: This ancient Nabatean city is famous for its rock-cut architecture, including the iconic Treasury and the Monastery. Capture the intricate details of the monuments or explore the surrounding cliffs and canyons for unique perspectives. Early morning or late afternoon offer the best lighting conditions.
2. Wadi Rum: This desert landscape features dramatic sandstone mountains, red sand dunes, and natural rock bridges. Photograph the stunning desert scenery during sunrise or sunset, or capture the clear night sky filled with stars.
3. Dead Sea: The lowest point on Earth, the Dead Sea offers unique opportunities to photograph salt formations, mudflats, and the reflective waters. Capture the vibrant blue waters contrasted against the desert landscape or try shooting long exposures to create a dreamy effect.
4. Jerash: This well-preserved Roman city boasts ancient ruins such as the Oval Plaza, the Temple of Artemis, and the impressive Hadrian's Arch. Capture the architectural details of the ruins or the daily life of the local residents.
5. Amman: The capital city of Jordan offers a mix of ancient and modern architecture. Photograph the Roman Theatre, the Citadel, or the vibrant markets and streets of downtown Amman.
6. Aqaba: This coastal city on the Red Sea is known for its coral reefs and clear waters. Capture underwater photography or the stunning sunsets over the Gulf of Aqaba.
7. Dana Biosphere Reserve: This nature reserve encompasses diverse ecosystems and offers opportunities for wildlife photography, as well as capturing the stunning landscapes of the Wadi Dana canyon.
8. Madaba: Known for its Byzantine-era mosaics, Madaba offers unique photographic opportunities of intricate artwork, such as the famous Madaba Map. The St. George Church and the Archaeological Park are great places to start.
9. Umm ar-Rasas: This UNESCO World Heritage site features well-preserved Byzantine ruins and elaborate mosaics. Capture the unique archaeological remains or the surrounding desert landscape.
10. Al-Karak: This crusader castle perched on a hilltop offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. Capture the imposing fortress or the dramatic cliffs and valleys that surround it.
The best time to visit Jordan for photography is during the spring (March to May) or autumn (September to November) months. These seasons offer more moderate temperatures, making it more comfortable to explore the country's diverse landscapes. Additionally, spring brings wildflowers to the desert, adding vibrant colors to your photographs.
Keep in mind that the weather can still be quite hot during the day, so plan your photography sessions during the early morning or late afternoon for the best light and cooler temperatures.
Discover the best photography locations in Jordan with PhotoHound - our contributors have added 6 Jordan photography locations so far.
Most popular photo locations in Jordan
We hope you enjoy photographing Jordan - don't forget to share your photography locations in Jordan on PhotoHound and tag us on social media using hashtag #photohound