The best photography locations in Finland
Finland photo locations
Finland is a beautiful Nordic country known for its vast forests, stunning lakes, and unique Arctic landscapes. Here are some photography tips specific to Finland, the best time to visit, and seven popular locations to capture stunning photographs.
1. Embrace the seasons: Finland experiences all four seasons, each offering unique photography opportunities, from snowy winter landscapes to the Midnight Sun in summer and autumn foliage.
2. Capture the Northern Lights: Finland is one of the best places to photograph the Aurora Borealis. Be prepared with a tripod, wide-angle lens, and patience.
3. Focus on nature and landscapes: Finland's diverse landscapes, from forests and lakes to the rugged Arctic region, offer endless photography opportunities. Use a variety of lenses and techniques to capture their beauty.
4. Experiment with wildlife photography: Finland is home to diverse wildlife, including bears, wolves, and reindeer. Be patient and respectful when photographing these animals.
5. Capture Finnish architecture and design: Finland is known for its modern architecture and design. Look for unique angles and details to showcase this aspect of Finnish culture.
6. Use natural light: The summer months in Finland provide long hours of daylight, while winter days are much shorter. Make the most of the natural light by shooting during golden hours (early morning and late afternoon) for softer, more flattering light.
7. Respect local customs and people: Always be mindful of the local culture and privacy of the people you photograph.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Finland for photography depends on your interests. For winter landscapes and Northern Lights, visit between December and March. For the Midnight Sun and lush green landscapes, visit from June to August. For autumn foliage, visit between September and October.
7 Most Popular Locations for Photography in Finland:
1. Helsinki: Finland's capital offers a mix of historic and modern architecture, vibrant street scenes, and cultural landmarks like the Helsinki Cathedral and Temppeliaukio Church.
2. Lapland: This Arctic region is famous for its unique landscapes, reindeer, and the Northern Lights, providing excellent opportunities for landscape and wildlife photography.
3. Oulanka National Park: This beautiful park in northeastern Finland offers diverse landscapes, including forests, rivers, and waterfalls, perfect for landscape photography.
4. Turku: This historic city on the southwest coast is known for its medieval Turku Castle, Turku Cathedral, and charming wooden houses.
5. Koli National Park: The stunning views from the Ukko-Koli Hill over Lake Pielinen offer breathtaking photo opportunities, as well as beautiful forest trails and waterways.
6. Porvoo: This picturesque town with its colorful wooden houses and cobblestone streets is a favorite spot for photographers.
7. Åland Islands: This archipelago between Finland and Sweden offers beautiful coastal landscapes, charming villages, and historic sites like the Kastelholm Castle.
Remember to respect the environment and the locals while visiting these locations, and enjoy capturing the beauty of Finland!
Discover the best photography locations in Finland with PhotoHound - our contributors have added 11 Finland photography locations so far.
Most popular photo locations in Finland
We hope you enjoy photographing Finland - don't forget to share your photography locations in Finland on PhotoHound and tag us on social media using hashtag #photohound