About this spot
Oblong Geyser, named for its oblong shaped pool is barely visible from the trail unless you happen to witness an eruption. Eruptions occur irregularly with an interval of approximately 3-12 hours. When Oblong Geyser does erupt it is not too tall, around 25 feet, but it is very wide and Oblong expels an estimated 10,000 gallons of water during an eruption. That is more than Old Faithful expels during a major eruption! Since Oblong is situated alongside the Firehole River, the water flows directly into the river in the direction away from the boardwalk.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.