Shoot with care
Granite rocks can be very slippery.
About this spot
Portland Head Light was built in 1791. Commissioned by George Washington and dedicated by the Marquis de Lafayette, it is the state's oldest lighthouse. Portland Head has a white conical tower and a Victorian keeper's house with a red roof and eyebrow eves on the porch. One of the most photographed sites on the East coast.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers