About this spot
Standing more than 1,000 feet above the surrounding landscape, Steptoe Butte offers unparalleled views of the rolling hills and fields of the Palouse. With good reason, it is the most popular photographic location in the region. Near sunrise and sunset in late spring and early summer, you will find dozens or more of other photographers sharing the view. Luckily, you will also find plenty of room for everyone to set up a tripod. There is some debate about whether the views are better from the top or partway down the slopes. These northern viewpoints are about 600 feet lower than the top and are less popular than other spots on the butte. By setting up here, there is a good chance you will have the view to yourself. The view is to the north and partially to the west.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.