About this spot
Mud Volcano, the feature that this area is named for looked very different at the time of The Hayden Expedition in 1871. Then Mud Volcano had a 30 feet high x 30 feet wide (9m x 9M) cone. By 1872 the cone had disintegrated in what was likely a violent eruption, leaving the feature we see today.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.