About this spot
The trail never actually goes to the summit of Mount Angeles, that is reserved for mountain climbers. This trail climbs and descends over the humps and knobs along the crest of Sunshine Ridge. Every ascent has a view and every view is an outstanding one. Along the way, the trail passes wind sculptured trees and lush green meadows with wildflowers and, often, deer or elk. After 2.5 miles, the trail to Mount Angeles meets the Switchback trail, (a shortcut from the road). The combined trail then climbs the open hillside below Mount Angeles for a mile to reach Heather Pass, a trail junction and more views. Mount Olympus demands attention to the southwest while Port Angeles, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Vancouver Island, the San Juan Islands and, on a clear day, Mount Baker are spread out before you to the north and east.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.