1 images 1 contributors
About this spot
This is the go-to dune and it is so named for being at the 45th kilometer along the road from Sesriem. Climbing it is considered a bucket list activity of the Sossusvlei experience. It has achieved an almost cult status in the park and virtually all photographers spend a sunset there when visiting Sossusvlei. Very few photographers seem to consider that the park chose that specific dune simply because it is the closest to the road and not for some special aesthetic appeal. It is coincidentally not a bad dune to photograph, but there are better ones to either side of it. Another big downside of this particular dune is that there are barriers and usually a few cars at the foot of it. This makes it impossible to shoot at longer than 300mm, which produces the amazing compressed perspective you need.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.