About this spot
One of the few remaining traditional markets, this location allows a glimpse into the real Old Shanghai: a more traditional Chinese one. Here you will find crickets for sale in small plastic containers or, more commonly, wicker baskets, as well as birds in cages and fish and turtles in tanks. The resulting cacophony of sounds is unique. Crickets traditionally bring good luck, but they are also used for gambling. If you’re lucky you might sneak a peek of a cricket fight out the back.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.