About this spot
In my opinion the square itself is not very photogenic, but offers a grand view of the Altare della Patria, also known as the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II or Vittoriano. This imposing monument is a mix of several architectural styles, and features stairways, Corinthian columns, fountains, an equestrian sculpture of Vittorio Emanuele II and two statues of the goddess Victoria riding on quadrigas. The monument holds the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, with an eternal flame. It is possible to buy a ticket for the panoramic lift, allowing visitors to ride up to the roof for 360-degree views of Rome (no tripods allowed).
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.