The best photography locations in Montenegro
Montenegro photo locations
Montenegro is a small Balkan country known for its stunning landscapes, ranging from rugged mountains to picturesque coastlines. The country offers photographers numerous opportunities to capture breathtaking images. Here are some of the best photography locations in Montenegro, divided into coastal and mountain areas:
1. Kotor: This UNESCO-listed old town is surrounded by impressive fortifications and offers narrow streets, historic architecture, and stunning views of the Bay of Kotor. Capture the striking St. Tryphon's Cathedral, the lively Piazza of the Arms, or the panoramic views from San Giovanni Fortress.
2. Budva: This popular coastal city is known for its sandy beaches, vibrant nightlife, and historic old town. Capture the picturesque St. Nicholas Island, the serene Mogren Beach, or the charming Budva Old Town.
3. Sveti Stefan: This picturesque fortified island village is connected to the mainland by a narrow causeway. Capture the iconic red-roofed buildings, the dramatic coastline, or the serene Milocer Beach.
4. Perast: This quaint coastal village is situated along the Bay of Kotor and features well-preserved baroque architecture. Capture the striking Our Lady of the Rocks island, the impressive St. Nicholas Church, or the panoramic views from St. George's Island.
5. Herceg Novi: This coastal town is known for its rich history, vibrant gardens, and stunning views of the Adriatic Sea. Capture the impressive Kanli Kula fortress, the lush Savina Monastery, or the lively Herceg Novi Old Town.
Mountain Area (North):
1. Durmitor National Park: This UNESCO-listed park features stunning mountain peaks, glacial lakes, and dense forests. Capture the impressive Bobotov Kuk peak, the serene Black Lake, or the dramatic Tara River Canyon.
2. Biogradska Gora National Park: This protected area is home to one of the last remaining primeval forests in Europe, as well as pristine glacial lakes. Capture the lush forest, the serene Biogradsko Lake, or the striking mountain peaks.
3. Prokletije National Park: Also known as the "Accursed Mountains," this park offers dramatic landscapes, remote villages, and challenging hiking trails. Capture the impressive peaks, the tranquil Ropojana Valley, or the picturesque Grebaje Valley.
4. Kolasin: This charming mountain town is popular for skiing and hiking and is located near Biogradska Gora National Park. Capture the vibrant town center, the serene Riblje Lake, or the scenic landscapes surrounding the town.
5. Zabljak: This small mountain town is a gateway to Durmitor National Park and offers a range of outdoor activities, including hiking, skiing, and rafting. Capture the picturesque Crno Jezero (Black Lake), the scenic Tara Bridge, or the impressive Đurđevića Tara Bridge.
When visiting Montenegro, keep in mind that the best time for photography is usually during the shoulder seasons (May-June and September-October), as the weather is pleasant, and there are fewer crowds. Whether exploring the charming coastal towns or the dramatic mountain landscapes, Montenegro offers photographers countless opportunities to capture stunning images.
Discover the best photography locations in Montenegro with PhotoHound - our contributors have added 124 Montenegro photography locations so far.
Most popular photo locations in Montenegro
We hope you enjoy photographing Montenegro - don't forget to share your photography locations in Montenegro on PhotoHound and tag us on social media using hashtag #photohound