The best photography locations in Mexico
Mexico photo locations
Mexico is a country with a rich cultural heritage, diverse landscapes, and a unique blend of architectural styles, offering photographers a variety of captivating subjects. Here are some of the best photography locations in Mexico:
1. Mexico City: The vibrant capital city boasts a wealth of historic architecture, bustling markets, and vibrant street life. Capture the impressive Metropolitan Cathedral, the colorful Coyoacán neighborhood, or the lively Zócalo square.
2. Teotihuacan: This ancient archaeological site, located just outside of Mexico City, features the iconic Pyramid of the Sun and Pyramid of the Moon. Capture the impressive pyramids, the Avenue of the Dead, or the detailed murals.
3. Chichen Itza: This famous Mayan archaeological site features the iconic El Castillo pyramid, the Temple of the Warriors, and the Great Ball Court. Capture the striking architecture, the intricate carvings, or the dramatic light and shadow effects.
4. Oaxaca: This colorful city offers a mix of colonial architecture, vibrant markets, and a rich culinary scene. Capture the striking Santo Domingo Church, the bustling Mercado Benito Juárez, or the lively Day of the Dead celebrations.
5. Tulum: This picturesque coastal Mayan site features the iconic El Castillo temple, stunning turquoise waters, and pristine beaches. Capture the dramatic cliffside ruins, the vibrant Caribbean Sea, or the serene Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.
6. Guanajuato: This UNESCO-listed city is known for its colorful houses, narrow streets, and stunning colonial architecture. Capture the vibrant streets, the impressive Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato, or the panoramic views from El Pipila monument.
7. Copper Canyon: This vast network of canyons offers dramatic landscapes, unique rock formations, and picturesque villages. Capture the striking cliffs, the lush forests, or the stunning Divisadero viewpoint.
8. San Miguel de Allende: This charming colonial city features cobblestone streets, colorful houses, and impressive churches. Capture the iconic Parroquia de San Miguel Arcángel, the lively El Jardín square, or the vibrant artisan markets.
9. Palenque: This ancient Mayan site, nestled in the Chiapas jungle, offers striking architecture and lush greenery. Capture the impressive Temple of the Inscriptions, the intricate Palace, or the serene waterfalls nearby.
10. Isla Holbox: This pristine island destination boasts white-sand beaches, vibrant marine life, and a laid-back atmosphere. Capture the picturesque coastline, the colorful murals, or the serene Yum Balam Nature Reserve.
Best seasons to visit:
- Dry season (December to April) for pleasant weather and optimal outdoor exploration
- Shoulder seasons (November and May) for fewer crowds and milder temperatures
However, the best season may vary depending on the region you plan to visit, as Mexico's climate can vary significantly from one place to another. For example, the Yucatan Peninsula experiences the most pleasant weather from November to February, while the Pacific coast is best visited during the dry season from November to May.
By considering these photography locations and the best seasons to visit, you can make the most of your trip to Mexico and capture unforgettable images.
Discover the best photography locations in Mexico with PhotoHound - our contributors have added 7 Mexico photography locations so far.
Most popular photo locations in Mexico
We hope you enjoy photographing Mexico - don't forget to share your photography locations in Mexico on PhotoHound and tag us on social media using hashtag #photohound