About this spot
Yellowstone Lake is the largest, high altitude lake (above 7,000) in North America. The lake is approximately 20 miles (32.2 km) long by 14 miles (22.5 km) wide. It has 141 miles (227 km) of shoreline of which only approximately 28 miles is accessible by car. Typically the lake freezes over in late December and thaws in late May or early June. There are many locations to view Yellowstone Lake of which this is just one. Take the time to explore the lake from several locations and at different times of day.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.