About this spot
The wildlife in the Tsauchab valley isn’t anywhere near what you’ll see in Etosha, but it shouldn’t be underestimated. Most of the animals tend to avoid the Tsauchab valley because of all the human activity, but you are still very likely to see oryx, springbok and ostriches in the valley. There are also jackals, hyenas, leopard and cheetah, but the latter three are exceedingly rare. What makes even the most mundane animal at Sossusvlei special is the backdrop. The combination of animal and landscape gives amazing scale and narrative of the harsh life that these animals live in the desert. If you’re patient then you should be able to wait for an Oryx or two to pass through your well-composed frame. If you’re patient and lucky, it might just be in the perfect last light of day.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.