About this spot
This viewpoint overlooks the spectacular medieval town of Pitigliano. If arriving off-season or early morning you’ll be able to park beside the road, otherwise you’ll have to drive up the road, to a bend where a few more parking spots are available at no charge. Pitigliano is one of the so-called “Città del Tufo” (“Tufa Towns”) because it is built on top of a tuff cliff; of the others, Sorano and Sovana are nearby, with Orvieto and Orte in the distance and due south. Pitigliano was already a place frequented and inhabited since the time of the Etruscans, when numerous settlements dug into the tufa and attested by the late Bronze Age (XII-XI century BC) were founded here. Today it is a well-known tourist destination thanks to its charming old town, which has allowed its inclusion in the list of the most beautiful villages in Italy.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.