About this spot
Grotto Geyser has one of the most unique cones of all the geysers. It is thought that the cone was shaped when the sinter was deposited over a stand of dead trees and that the remaining stumps have become petrified in the geyserite. Grotto Geyser has two types of eruptions. “Normal” or “short mode” eruptions last between 1-3 hours followed by an interval of 5-8 hours. “Marathon” or “long mode” eruptions last between 12-24 hours with an average of 19 hours followed by an interval of about 2 days. So you have a good chance of seeing some activity in Grotto Geyser. The eruptions are not tall averaging around 10 feet (3.04m).
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.