UGB - Crested Pool
2 images 2 contributors
About this spot
Chromatic Pool is one of the most beautiful springs in the Upper Geyser Basin. It is a very hot spring with water temperature around 200º F (93.3º C). The spring is 25x30 feet (7.64 x 9.14 m) with a depth of 42 feet (12.8 m). It is this deep depth that makes it appear so blue in color. The whole rim of the pool is covered with an upward angled crust of gray sinter, giving the pool its name. The bright orange color is cyanobacteria that grow in the water, as it cools from the center of the pool. In general, the cooler the temperature of the water, the deeper the color of the cyanobacteria.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.