About this spot
This spot is beyond the village itself, on a hilltop facing Sorano. You’ll leave the car on the side of SP22 (Strada Provinciale Sovana), where you’ll find a small parking lot near the abandoned Chiesetta di San Rocco. Leaving the little church on the left, a 5 minute walk along the footpath brings you to the stunning view depicted in the accompanying images. Sorano is one of the so-called “Città del Tufo” (“Tufa Towns”) because it is built on top of a tuff cliff; it features numerous rock buildings dug into the tufa, reminiscent of the famous Sassi di Matera. Its municipal territory was already inhabited since the Etruscan period, as evidenced by the remarkable findings of ancient settlements and necropolis; in medieval times, it was in the possession of the Aldobrandeschi, and later of the Orsini and Medici families.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.