About this spot
Rocca Calascio is a fortress located in Abruzzo, in the province of L'Aquila, in the municipality of Calascio, at an altitude of 1450 meters above sea level, just above the town of the same name. It is included in the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park. It is known for the presence of the castle, among the highest in Italy, and the ancient medieval village below, still inhabited by a few people. The fortress has been used as a setting for many films, including Lady Hawke (1985) and The Name of the Rose (1986).
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.