About this spot
Piles Copse is one of 3 high altitude oak woodlands on Dartmoor. Each is nicely spread out from the others, this one, Piles Copse is on the southern edge of Dartmoor by the River Erme. Wistmans Wood is in the centre by the West Dart, near Two Bridges and Black a tor copse is in the north by the West Okement River under Black Tor. This a site of scientific special interest (SSSI) and is also privately owned, although they are happy for you to enter and the nearby signs give some good advice on walking through and camping in these areas. These oak trees are stunted and slow growing due to the altitude and give a glimpse back to when large parts of Britain were covered in this way. Mosses and lichens grow on the granite in these woods making a green carpet below.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.