About this spot
Except for two weeks a year, there is nothing special about this trail through the forest to the overgrown summit of Mount Zion. However, when the native rhododendrons are in bloom, this is one of the premier locations for viewing and photographing them. The trail tunnels through the rhododendrons which grow in great profusion, filling all open areas around the trees. As the trail climbs, the rhododendrons grow lacier, often hung with streamers of moss. The trail to the overgrown summit is well graded and only 1.8 miles long. If you are looking for views, Mount Townsend is a better location.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.