MHS - Orange Spring Mound
3 images 2 contributors
About this spot
Orange Mound Spring is cooler in temperature than many of the other features found here in Mammoth Hot Springs, which enables orange colored cyanobacteria, a type of microorganism related to bacteria but capable of photosynthesis, to dominate. This large cone is slow forming and has been growing over the ages to obtain this size. The mound is approximately 20 feet tall (6 m) by 48 feet (14.6 m) long.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.