About this spot
Kitty Hawk, Avalon and Nags Head Fishing Piers are all testaments to the popularity of fishing on the Outer Banks. All three of these piers have weathered numerous hurricanes and show it. The undersides of the piers are a jungle gym of pylons and the planks added for extra support. In order to survive, they have each specialized. Kitty Hawk Pier is owned by the Hilton Garden Inn and promotes itself as a wedding venue and a surfing area as well as a fishing spot. Avalon Pier advertises itself with a website full of information required by astute fishermen. The pier also features a well stocked store full of snacks and fishing gear. Nags Head Pier is notable for the colored chairs and tables that may be used by patrons of their restaurant and Tiki Bar. They will even cook and serve you your fish after you catch it. All of the piers are open to fishing and the shady areas underneath are popular gathering places for overheated beach goers.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.