About this spot
Jockey's Ridge State Park has the highest active sand dune on the East Coast. This 140 ft. dune lies among other dunes nearly as tall. The park is a very popular and busy place. Daily hang gliding lessons are fun to watch as are the experts at kite flying. Families come to slide and roll down the sides of the dunes. The more sedate simply walk the dunes or the nature trails and look for tracks in the sand. A the end of the day, people arrive from all directions to sit or stand on the dunes and watch the sun setting over Roanoke Sound.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.