About this spot
Lakes Highwood and Picture are located on an open benchland, dotted with subalpine trees and meadows. Both lakes have views and often reflect the glaciers and cliffs of the rugged looking Mount Shuksan. The scene including a lake, the mountains and the reflection is considered to be the most iconic images of what the alpine world should look like. Park along the northwest side of Picture Lake. Avoid parking at the east end of the lake or your car may end up in your picture. Follow the lakeshore trail to the west end of Picture Lake where a platform is perfectly situated for photographers to capture Mount Shuksan and its reflection. When the platform is too crowded, head over to the smaller Highwood Lake to find your location.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.