About this spot
The Elizabethan Gardens are a very popular destination located next to the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site. The historical site conserves the land where it is believed the first English settlers in North America started a colony before disappearing a few years later. The site's Visitors Center outlines the various theories concerning their fate. This is also the location of a colony of former slaves, freed during the Civil War. No artifacts remain of that once thriving settlement either. The Elizabethan Gardens is the most tangible goal when touring this fascinating area. The gardens were created to celebrate the life and times of the original Roanoke Island immigrants with statuary and a formal English garden.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.