About this spot
Once a fortified medieval town, Calcata was emptied in the 1930s because it was thought it would soon collapse due to erosion, but thirty years later its center began to be repopulated by artists and hippies who eventually purchased the vacated buildings and transformed the ghost town in a thriving community with restaurants, cafes and art galleries. It’s a very small village where cats abound and cars cannot enter, with cobbled alleys and medieval houses.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.