About this spot
This is the main pass between upper Wensleydale and Swaledale, made famous by the Tour de France in 2014. The pass is named after the huge holes in the ground which used to be used to store butter in a cool environment, but the steep sided valley has plenty more to offer besides the features which gave it its name.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.