About this spot
The beaches on the Outer Banks are notable for their beautiful, fine, white sand. Two types of beaches are found on the Outer Banks. The beaches from Corolla to Whalebone Junction are lined with huge rental houses and hotels. These beaches are family friendly, ready made for playing in the surf, digging in the sand and sunbathing, The second type of beaches are found in the Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout National Seashores and are lacking in houses and resorts. What they do have, however, are a constant parade of 4-wheel drive vehicles cruising along the shore or parked with fishing lines in the surf. A few beaches are seasonally open to foot travel only, to preserve bird and turtle nesting sites. The Cape Point Beach is of special interest because of its extreme popularity. Whenever the fish are biting you will find cars lining the points, American flags flying from the truck beds and fishermen sitting along the shore with several poles planted in the sand. This beach is also well known as a place to gather sea shells. To photograph surfers, go Jennette's Pier, the beach at Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in Buxton or to the beaches at Frisco. One of the hottest places for kite surfing, wind depending, is an unnamed beach 2.1 miles north of Lighthouse Rd in Buxton. The kite surfers may be viewed on the Sound side or the Ocean side, depending on the wind. The most pristine beaches are found on Pea Island. The southern end of Cape Lookout is also noted for the continuous supply of intact seashells washing up on shore.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.