About this spot
Askja Caldera is a large volcanic crater, located in the center of the Icelandic Outback in the Dyngjufjoll Mountains. Inaccessible during the winter it is worth a visit during summer. The lake in the Caldera is the deepest lake in Iceland. Next to it is Víti, a geothermal lake with water temperature around 25°C. In fact, the name Víti means “hell”.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.