About this spot
Maiden Castle is one of Europe’s largest and most complex Iron Age hillforts, its perimeter big enough to house fifty football pitches. The huge multiple ramparts were built in the 1st century BC and once protected hundreds of residents, but now stand as fantastic photographic subjects. The castle has a rich and varied history with excavations uncovering proof of Neolithic, Roman and Iron Age settlements; an unearthed cemetery showed many of the buried had suffered horrific injuries, signalling that the castle had likely experienced some rather macabre times.
Join PhotoHound to learn how, where and when to capture amazing photos here
- Know the best times, seasons & shooting conditions
- Detailed directions - maps, co-ordinates and directions
- Know how to get there - where to park or how to reach there using public transport
- Browse inspirational photos and learn how they were taken - see the EXIF details
- Bookmark your favourite spots for future reference
- Know exactly when to shoot for beautiful photographs - sunrise, sunset, blue hour and astrophotography
- Detailed, 7-day weather forecast at this location
- Share your images with like-minded travel photographers
This spot appears in 1 guide.